Happy World's Book Day!

April 21, 2017


Just a few hours away from celebrating The World Book Day, I can’t help publishing a post in honour to my favourite English Playwright, who accompanied me from my teenage years, without being aware of it.  Thanks to whom I discovered how passionate theatre is,  that there still exists some families similar to The Montague and The Capulet ones, that we are such stuff as dreams are made on, and that life could be a comedy or a tragedy, it just depends on us, the players on a stage.  Does it ring a bell, who my favourite writer is?

Back into 1998, without knowing what was going to happen almost twenty years later, William Shakespeare turned up into my life and the life of my 39 classmates at school. Our Spanish Language and Literature teacher got our class into the topic of XVI Century theatre, and among some readings, we had to work on one of the well-known plays which, in fact,  one that could get the attention of a group of forty teenagers, i.e. ROMEO AND JULIET.

Back in those years, although Internet wasn't trendy and not many people had computers at home to hand in school projects, there were innovative teachers who applied the collaborative and inclusive methods in lesson planning. Learning by doing and project-based lessons are not just a modern methodology; it dates back to those great influencers from the 90s.
The proof is in the pudding. I remembered having the same teacher two years later, a new project on Shakespeare was approaching and at that moment the chosen one was HAMLET. It was just there when we had a first-hand meeting on how arduous it was to be an actor in a theatre performance.
We had to perform the ACT II-SCENE I- Yes!  That famous Shakespearean soliloquy that says ‘To be or not to be, that is the question’
When I say that in those years we also had inclusive methodologies and learning by doing strategies is because, within this project, we had to organise, in groups, everything that involved the theatrical production. i.e. choosing the characters, a team for sound and special effects, set design including the stage props – cared in detailed by our families, any collaboration from friends, aunties, uncles, cousins, neighbours was welcomed. Looking for the theatre to perform our play wasn't a difficult issue, from the first day we've chosen our school hall.
Thanks Goodness, I was HORATIO and not HAMLET.


Too many years later, having moved into the European stages and staying in my penultimate English Degree Course, I had the great pleasure to meet again with my friend Shakespeare in a theatre performance.
At that time it was my English Literature professor who dived us in detail into the Shakespearean world. We performed Otello in an amateur style and just with a reduced number of spectators. For the very first time, it was an un-dubbed version. How brave we were!
Thanks to all stars, in those ages, no vestige of selfies, Smartphones, facebook or any innovative technology or social network apart from Messenger could be found round the faculty. Otherwise, it would have been a real tragedy for some and, perhaps a comedy for others. Thus, the performance will be safely kept in our memories, tertian and even bottom of our hearts.

The icing on the cake sets back to the year 2007 when I had the opportunity to travel to the UK with a scholarship. As soon as I noticed that I would be in London, I didn’t last a lot to leave me my first free day to go on an excursion to THE GLOBE –Shakespeare’s Theatre- and of course STRATFORD-UPON-AVON – William’s birthplace.
I’m not really sure what direction this story will take in the upcoming years, maybe, one day, I will dare with my unfinished business as a theatre actress, since I find it difficult to get a William Shakespeare’s autograph from one of his marvellous quill pens, those he used to use for drawing his breathtaking poetry.

In order to celebrate the month of books, I share with you a WebQuest that I created from my background experience with W.Shakespeare. I consider it a useful resource to encourage teens or young learners and turn them into the Shakespearean world. 
The project pretends students to travel into the XVI Century to learn about its society, literature and theatre and come back into the modern world to tell nowadays society how was living in those old ages.  They must turn they creativity on!
Hope you enjoy using it.  http://wshakespearewebquest-ro.blogspot.com.es/p/introduction_25.html
http://wshakespearewebquest-ro.blogspot.com.es/p/introduction_25.html




You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Press

Followers